Q&A with Barbara Birch

Our upcoming blog posts will feature Q&As with some of our Research Volunteers about their connection with the University and thoughts on joining the project. This post introduces Barbara Birch.

Tell us a bit about yourself?

I worked in the Department of Biochemistry at the University of Leicester for 45 years. I retired at the end of 2014.

What do you enjoy most about being in Leicester?

Being in an exciting science research environment and working with and meeting people from all over the world.

What do you know about the history of University of Leicester?

Over the years I was there I learned some of the background. From the year I started there I worked in the Adrian Building and in the Maurice Shock Medical Sciences Building. In 2004 my department moved to the Henry Wellcome Building which had just been built. I attended many meetings in the Fielding Johnson Building, some of them in the Gimson Room which felt very special.

Colour photograph of the Gimson Room in the Fielding Johnson Building.
The Gimson Room in the Fielding Johnson Building at the University of Leicester. Source: Leicester Museums, https://gimson.leicester.gov.uk/

Have you volunteered before?

I have been a volunteer in the Macmillan Information Centre at Leicester Royal Infirmary for two days a week for the last four years.

What are your views about volunteering?

They are opportunities to provide support in a huge number of areas of society and to learn about pretty much every subject that is of interest.

What do you expect to learn?

The whole history of the University from its inception and the roles that the founders played particularly those who have buildings named after them; the contrast between the first students and the current ones.